The Virtual London Marathon!
Sunday 4th October
Just to be clear – it may be virtual, but you still have to run!
Last week, Virgin London Marathon announced that the Marathon as we know it could not go ahead as planned on October 4th. Instead, VLM has launched the Virtual Marathon!
Participants can complete the virtual 40th Race by running the famous 26.2-mile marathon distance from home or anywhere in the world on the course of their choice. All finishers will receive the coveted finisher medal and exclusive New Balance finisher T-shirt.
Places cost just £20 per person to run for LOOK. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest, or click the ‘Register’ button below to fill in the application form.
This is a fantastic way to raise vital funds for our charity. Here’s how your fundraising helps:
- With just £6, we can pay for a young person to attend one of our VI-focused employment and opportunity days. Only one in four visually impaired people in the UK are in work. This needs to change – and our workshops equip young people to know their rights to ensure their future.
- £30 will pay for an afternoon of face to face/one-to-one mentoring for a young person. At Look, we know the power of talking to your peers, which is why we run a peer mentoring scheme.
- £50 will pay for an hour of counselling for a recently diagnosed young person or parent.
- £100 will pay for our staff and mentors to deliver a World of Difference workshop in a VI young person’s school. Many of the young people we work with tell us school can be challenging, especially if their classmates don’t understand their visual impairment. Our World of Difference sessions promote inclusion and understanding and encourage visually impaired young people to speak out about the barriers they face at school.
We’re a small but national charity and there continues to be a real need for Look.
We aim to:
- Support visually impaired children and their families to thrive.
- Empower people to reach their potential and combat social isolation
- Create opportunities for families and young people to connect
- Provide vital information and support
What do you get if you run for us?
- Support and ideas with your fundraising
- Coverage on our online social media platforms and website
- Finisher medal
- Exclusive New Balance Finisher t-shirt!
Register Your Place
In order to register for a place in 2020, please read the terms and conditions below and fill in our online application by Friday 21st August.
Virgin London Marathon
Terms and Conditions
1. You confirm that the information on your application form is complete and correct at time of submission.
2. You confirm that you will be 18 years of age or older at the time of the event.
3. All applications are subject to a selection process to ensure that our LOOK-UK charity places are used to best possible effect and at the discretion of LOOK-UK.
4. Should you be allocated a LOOK-UK charity place, you agree to pay a non-refundable registration fee of £20.00 (not applicable for returning LOOK Team Runners). This fee will be due upon your acceptance of one of our charity running places and must be received by LOOK-UK within one calendar week of that date, together with your signed legal agreement.
Bacs Sort 40-52-40 Account 00005045 remembering to include a reference e.g. VLM19 YOUR INITIAL and SURNAME
5. If allocated a LOOK-UK charity place, you agree to establish an online fundraising website page on either Virgin Money Giving or JustGiving for the event, and to send details of which to LOOK-UK.
6. All monies raised in aid of LOOK-UK must be received by LOOK-UK.
7. You understand that if allocated a place, LOOK-UK will be in contact with you periodically to be in touch regarding your progress with fundraising.
8. If allocated a LOOK-UK charity place you agree to inform LOOK UK as soon as possible in writing should you become unable to take part in the Virgin Money London Marathon 2020, at which point your minimum sponsorship obligation will cease.
9. You understand that should you withdraw from your LOOK-UK charity place the registration fee is non-refundable and will be retained to cover expenses.
10. If you are forced to withdraw from the Virgin Money London Marathon 2020 for any reason, you will need to contact all donors and ask if they are still happy for their sponsorship monies to benefit LOOK-UK. If not, you must refund all donations to the relevant donors. Where LOOK-UK is already in receipt of donations, you will still need to contact all donors to ensure they are happy for the monies to benefit LOOK-UK. If not, and they would like their sponsorship refunding, you will need to instruct them to write to us requesting a refund of their sponsorship monies giving details of when and how the donation was made and for how much.
11. All participants enter at their own risk in accordance with standard Virgin Money London Marathon regulations. These regulations can be found at www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com
12. You understand that, should you be accepted to run for LOOK-UK, you will be required to complete the online registration on the VLM website. As this will be done electronically via the Virgin Money London Marathon website, you understand you will need to have internet access and access to an email address at some point before the deadline.
13. If allocated a LOOK-UK charity place, you agree to provide evidence of your completing the marathon for LOOK in the form of media footage captured on the day of Sunday 4 October 2020, and that this footage may be used by LOOK-UK to help promote our charity. Media footage may include images, videos, audio recordings and/or quotes.
14. If allocated a LOOK-UK charity place, you understand and agree to comply with Virgin London Marathon guidelines to record your marathon on Sunday 4 October 2020.
15. You understand that, should the 2020 London Marathon be cancelled or postponed for any reason, LOOK UK will follow the guidance provided by VLM for charities wherever possible, and that any final decisions regarding deferral/reallocation of charity places is at the discretion of LOOK UK.
Thanks for reading. Don’t forget to fill in our online application!