Our list has been compiled with the help of sight loss charities and parents and carers who came together in July for our themed PSG meeting What To Do Over the Summer Holidays.
We talked about how we can keep our young people engaged and happy during the holidays and shared some great advice and top tips.
We know that the sun’s glare and crowded holiday activities or resorts can be additionally challenging for blind and visually impaired young people and it was good to share our concerns with other parents who understood or who’ve been through it themselves.
Thank you to everyone who contributed to the session. We’ve also created a handy calendar planner so you can plan your activities ahead!
Summer Holiday Top Tips.
Our Parent Support Officer Jane Ring has put together a few top tips for having fun over the summer holidays and says “While it’s important to have fun with family and friends over the holiday do try and make sure you have some time for yourself. It is your holiday time as well.”
- Remember not to pack your diary too much, have days at home as part of your schedule. Let your children and young people watch their ipads, stay in their rooms or plan to watch their favourite TV shows/films together with some popcorn (they could help make this).
- Don’t put too much pressure on yourself or them.
- Some days things are bound to go wrong. Meltdowns will probably happen, (either you or the children) remember tomorrow is another day.
- Plan with your children and young people so they can choose an activity they really want to do.
- If they are active, find out where your local safe cycle tracks are, go swimming, and find a trampoline park. Lots of places have time set aside each week for a SEND session.
A big thanks to all of the sight loss charities that have contributed to this list including UsherKids, VICTA, MoorVision, GuideDogs, British Blind Sport, UsefulVision, Metro Blind Sport, Henshaws, RSBC, SENSE, SightConcern, NAB and RNIB.
To keep up to date with all of our latest news and LOOK events sign up for our newsletter via the home page.