“The Braille Club course was a lifeline into a new world which I want to help my daughter navigate. Meeting other parents with similar goals made me feel connected and meeting the mentors gave me great hope for my daughter’s future.”
Online beginners Braille course
Parent/carers of visually impaired children in the UK
Weekly on Thursdays, 8pm – 9:30pm starting on the 25th of February, ending on the 29th of April (including a break over Easter).
£15 donation to LOOK UK
(Bursary places are available for families qualifying for Free School Meals. Please contact us directly to enquire about this.)
The Braille Club is an online beginner’s course for parents/carers of visually impaired children and young people running over 9 weeks on Thursdays 8pm – 9:30pm starting Thursday 25 Feb.
The course consists of 5 lessons covering an introduction to grade 1 Braille delivered by course leaders, alternating with 4 drop-in support sessions facilitated by LOOK mentors.
Sessions are delivered on Zoom. Starting materials are provided by LOOK UK including practice sheets and samples of Braille paper.
“The course leaders and mentors were open and honest. The pace was perfect and the delivery was light hearted and friendly (which is the best way to learn). The homework wasn’t too heavy but the positive feedback and encouragement was much appreciated. I can’t believe how much I picked up in such a short space of time.”
Participants who complete the Braille Club course will:
• Be able to read grade 1 Braille by sight.
• Be able to write grade 1 Braille using a Perkins Brailler.
• Be able to incorporate Braille into their daily family life.
• Benefit from being part of a supportive community of other parent/carers of VI children.
• Benefit from the lived experiences of LOOK Mentors of living fulfilling, successful lives as VI adults.
• Have the understanding and resources to continue studying grade 2 Braille independently.
• Gain knowledge on resources and sources of support for their VI child and their family.
25th Feb – Lesson 1
4th March – Drop-in 1
11th March – Lesson 2
18th March – Drop-in 2
25th March – Lesson 3
1st April – Drop-in 3
15th April – Lesson 4
22nd April – Drop-in 4
29th April – Lesson 5
Getting started – what will you need?
• Access to Zoom – online conferencing platform
• Pen and paper
● Welcome pack provided by LOOK containing practice sheets and Braille paper.
● A Perkins Brailler (we can help you source one if needed), or as an alternative download Perky Duck software
Limited places are available. Click below to register for your place.