Hello families! How are the summer holidays going?
We wanted to remind you that we have a resource for parent carers on ‘Making the most of the holidays’ with recommendations specifically for summer 2023! Click here to view, download, share or print it.
Also, below are some Top Tips from our amazing community in the Parent Support Group.
Do you have a friend or another parent to a visually impaired child who might appreciate these tips and support during the summer holidays? Please share this post with them!
Top tips for making the most of the holidays
- Remember to have days when you can relax and give your children and young people plenty of downtime.
- For anyone who likes routine, planning the week ahead with your child / children and creating a time table will help.
- Days at home are fine, plan a mixture of things you can do together including watching favourite TV programmes or listening to audio books.
- If you have a bad day it is ok, start afresh tomorrow.
- We are not superhuman, it’s ok for our children to feel bored.
- Get them involved in your day to day tasks such as cooking.
- If it’s hard to get them out of the house, have an achievable goal that they agree to.
- Have less busy times in places with good outdoor space, or sensory trails to make walks more interesting.
- During the holidays, plan things that each child wants to do.
- Breathe, make time for yourself and enjoy time with your fantastic children!
We are back on Monday 21st August with a Parent Support Group session on preparing for the new school term. Before we know it our kids will be back at school and being ready always helps makes the transition easier for all. Join us online a week on Monday to share ideas, life hacks, advice. Newcomers always welcome and Jane and Jo – each of them mums to VI teenagers themselves – will be hosting the session. To find out more about the Parent Support Group (and see all the dates and themes for 2023 plus resources from previous sessions visit: www.look-uk.org/parentsupportgroup
To sign up for the chat session (on Zoom… sadly not around a campfire! – but it’s still warm and welcoming….) on Monday 21st August, 7.30pm to share with other parent carers about getting ready to go back to school, fill in this short form and you will be sent the Zoom invitation.
All the photos in this post are from LOOKFest – our all, age VI-accessible festival. Thank you to all the families who joined us for this weekend and for filling it will so much joy and fun. See you again next year!