LOOK UK is a small but mighty charity, supporting visually impaired young people to thrive. We offer structured peer support for our young people and their parent / carers, through our mentoring project, support groups and events programme. We believe that nobody should have to cope alone. By creating community and connection amongst visually impaired young people and their families, we aim to boost confidence and increase access to social, employment and education opportunities.
Our mentoring project and support groups connect VI people to VI people, for guidance and support.
An exciting opportunity has arisen within LOOK UK for an Events and Resources Coordinator to support our mentoring programme.
Look offers online one to one mentoring. To support this, we also run group activities, panel events, Q and As, youth groups and workshops, to bring people together – online or face to face – for skills sharing and fun. We often record these events and edit those recordings into static resources for our community to access longer-term. We are recruiting a coordinator to drive this aspect of our work, identifying and prioritising the topics we want to address and bringing a consistent quality-assured style to both the event delivery and the creation of the resulting resources.
Events and Resources Co-ordinator
This is a coordinator role. The post holder will take responsibility for driving the events and resources, working alongside the LOOK team to create and implement the events calendar and library of resources for our mentoring programme.
Tasks will include
- Working with the wider team to identify topics for events, to meet the needs of our community
- Planning and programming events
- Line-managing the part-time Look projects assistant
- Contacting, briefing and negotiating with guest speakers, workshop facilitators and volunteers
- Liaising with and booking venues
- Sharing information about events with the wider team and the communications team
- Facilitating and hosting panel events, workshops, discussion groups, support groups, youth forums as required (online and /or face to face)
- Creating resources – audio / video / written – about agreed themes and topics to be house don our website and shared with the wider world
- Working with volunteers to deliver events and resources
- Report on project progress as required
- Contribute to Look’s projects and wider work as required, along with the LOOK team.
- Working with other organisations, partners and stake holders to develop the project and create new opportunities for VI young people
- Contributing to LOOK communications output as required
- Contributing to all LOOK’s wider projects and events, face to face and online, as required
- Mature and credible
- Engaging, confident, personable, dynamic
- Confident leader
- Inspires confidence and encourages participation
- Inclusive and friendly
- Team player with a resourceful approach
- Creative thinker
Skills Required (essential)
- Group facilitation
- Listening skills
- Hosting and presenting skills
- Excellent written communications (an ability to draw salient points and summarise)
- Basic IT skills
- Ability to record audio and video (with sighted support if necessary)
- IT skills (Competent with social media, word processing and office packages and online events platforms)
- Ability to edit audio /video
Previous Experience (essential)
- Youth work / volunteer coordination / events coordination / project coordination skills
Previous experience / knowledge (desired)
- Communications role / journalism / performing / presenting / hosting
- Line management experience
- Understanding of the barriers faced by disabled children
- Understanding of the needs of Visually Impaired children and their families
The successful applicant will be required to
- Travel nationally occasionally (wider circumstances allowing)
- Be available for occasional evening, weekend and residential (overnight) working
Contract length: 12 months
Location: UK (national – home working)
Application deadline: 01/09/2021
Expected start date: 01/10/2021
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: £21,000.00-£24,000.00 per year depending on experience
Look UK is committed to equality. Please let us know if you require reasonable adjustments to be made to accommodate your needs. We work with Access to Work, to ensure that employees are supported to carry out their roles.
How to apply
Please send the following to the following email address: email@example.com
- Your CV
- A covering letter explaining how you meet the person specification and requirements of the role.
- A short audio or video presentation answering the following question:
Imagine you have been tasked with organising a 1.5 hour long online event for VI young people considering taking a gap year before university.
Please describe how you would approach planning, organising and delivering this event.
This presentation should be no more than 5 minutes long.
If you have any questions, please contact us at the same email address or on
We look forward to hearing from you!
Not the right for you?